Spinach Daal is made across the country with a slight local twist.
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 cup split yellow pigeon peas (toor daal) cooked
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing or Asafetida
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dhania-jeera or coriander-cumin powder
- Salt to taste
How to Make It
- Cook toor daal with some turmeric in a pressure cooker. Alternatively, use the stovetop method. This forms the base of the recipe.
- Heat oil in a wok and temper it. Add mustard seeds, let them pop, and then add the Asafetida.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir for a minute.
- Add chopped spinach and sauté for 5 minutes or so until it wilts down and cooks.
- Add the daal, up to a cup of water and the spices, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until it comes together. Serve hot.