Tamarind Juice adds a special touch to this relatively mild soup, which is full of vegetables, shrimp, and chopped fish.
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 8 oz (250 g) fresh white fish fillets
- 4 oz (100 g) fresh shrimp
- 12 fresh or canned straw mushrooms or small button mushrooms, sliced in half
- ½ cup (125 g) sliced daikon radish
- ½ cup (125 g) sliced green papaya
- ½ cup (50 g) sliced green beans
- ½ cup (60 g) cauliflower, broken into florets
- ¾ cup (50 g) sliced Chinese cabbage
- 4 tablespoons Tamarind Juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 dried chilies, deseeded and soaked until soft
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped krachai
How to Make It
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- Place the fish fillets and shrimp in the boiling water and simmer for about 8 minutes until cooked. Remove the seafood with a slotted spoon. Let it cool. Chop up the fish. Reserve the stock. Set the seafood aside.
- Grind the Spice Paste ingredients in a blender or mortar and pestle, then place the Spice Paste in a pan with the reserved stock, fish and vegetables. Bring to a boil and simmer until just cooked, about 10 minutes. Add the Tamarind Juice, lime juice, sugar and salt.
- Serve hot, topped with the shrimp.