This scrumptiously comforting burger is inspired by British pub food, which is generally recognized for its down-to-earth, no-fuss cooking style. The barley patties are extra filling and flavored with condiment sauces, spices, and mushrooms. Mustard, mayonnaise, and a sunny-side up fried egg tie the flavors together in this very satisfying and proper veggie burger!
- Yield: 4 burgers and about 1/3 cup (90 g) Mustard Mayo
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) ghee or Drizzle of vegetable oil
- 5¾ cups (400 g) roughly chopped mushrooms
- 10.33 cups (298 g) drained and rinsed canned black beans, mashed with a fork
- 1½ scant cups (70 g) panko bread crumbs
- 2 ablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) Sriracha
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ scant cup (70 g) cooked barley or other whole grain
- 3 tablespoons (9 g) finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons (8 g) fresh parsley leaves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon pimentón (smoked paprika)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 buns, halved and lightly toasted
- 0.33 cup (75 g) mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) mustard, Dijon or English
- Finely chopped chives, for garnishing
- 4 small organic eggs
- Pickled Onion
- Fried mushrooms
- Chopped chives
To make the black bean patties
- Preheat the oven to 140°F (60°C). Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the mushrooms and fry for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring, or until fragrant and shriveled. Transfer to a large bowl and combine with the remaining patty ingredients (through agave). Use your hands to work the mixture into a good texture that holds together well. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes, or up to 24 hours covered. To make the mustard mayo
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and mustard until smooth. Sprinkle with chives and set aside.
- Divide the mushroom–black bean mixture into 4 equal portions and form each into a patty. Place a skillet over medium-high heat and fry the patties for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until nicely browned. Keep the patties warm in the oven while frying the eggs to your desired doneness.
- Assemble the burgers between the buns and top each with a fried egg and Mustard Mayo.