Have healthy fun with decorations on your gingerbread men here, trail mix provides the décor!
- Yield: 2 dozen
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- ¼ cup (60 g) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) unsulfured molasses
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.2 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) ground cloves
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour
- ½ cup (50 g) rice bran
- ½ cup (56 g) flax meal
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- ½ cup (75 g) your favorite Enjoy Life Not Nuts! trail mix
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- In a food processor, combine the shortening, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, and applesauce until smooth. Add the baking powder and the next 8 ingredients (through tapioca flour) and process until the dough forms into a ball.
- Divide dough into fourths. Place one section of dough between two pieces of nonstick parchment paper. With a rolling pin, roll dough into a flat ½-inch (1.2 cm) thick disk.
- Cut shapes out of dough cookie cutters. Use a flat spatula to gently remove the cookies to a greased baking sheet. Collect remaining dough and repeat process.
- Bake for about 12 minutes (depending on size of cookie), or until the cookies are darker around the edges and firm in the centers. Remove with a spatula to a flat surface to cool.
- While cookies are warm, press pieces of the trail mix into each cookie. For example, to make one gingerbread man you could use 2 raisin eyes, a sunflower mouth, chocolate chip buttons, and pineapple pieces on his shoes.