- Yield: 2 Servings(2 cups)
- 1 cup (150 g) raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out and reserved 1 cup / 225ml unchlorinated water, or more if needed 1 probiotic capsule, or enough to equal 20 billion active cells (optional)
- Handful of blackberries, for serving
How to Make It
- Drain and rinse the cashews and combine them in a blender with the lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla bean seeds. Pulse to break up the cashews. With the motor running, pour in the water and blend until the mixture reaches your desired consistency (add more water for a thinner yogurt). Pour the cashew blend into a glass container.
- If using, open up the probiotic capsule and empty its contents into the glass container. Stir into the cashew blend with a nonmetallic spoon.
- Cover the container with a breathable material, such as cheesecloth or a tea towel, and place somewhere warm. The fermentation can take anywhere from 6 to 24 hours, depending on the temperature of your environment (a warmer environment will mean less time). The yogurt is ready to eat when there are tiny bubbles forming and it has a pleasant tangy-sour scent. Use a nonmetallic spoon to taste it—if you like the way it tastes, enjoy right away with a drizzle of maple syrup and a handful of blackberries, or cover with an airtight lid and refrigerate for up to 4 days.