The peppery and licorice notes of fennel contrast well with the nutty quinoa and the sweet pomegranate seeds in this decadent salad bowl.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 fennel bulb
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- ¾ cup pomegranate seeds
How to Make It
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water. Drain and place in a large, lidded saucepan. Add the stock and cumin and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain, cover, and set aside for 10 minutes to fluff up.
- To prepare the fennel, trim the stalks, root end, and any tough outer pieces from the bulb and reserve the fronds. Cut the bulb in half and then into thin slices lengthwise.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the fennel and cook for about 5 minutes, turning once, until golden. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, remaining oil, and seasoning.
- Add the scallions, herbs, and fennel fronds to the bowl. Then add the quinoa and half of the pomegranate seeds. Stir to mix, then season, if needed. Divide the salad between 4 individual bowls, sprinkle over the remaining seeds, and serve.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.