Pineapple is a tasty tropical way to enjoy vitamin C, which defends your body against free radicals and assists in detox. Do not throw away the core. Not only is it delicious, it’s full of the enzyme bromelain, with is anti-inflammatory. Thinly sliced, it has a texture similar to water chestnut. On days 1 to 5 or days 16 to 21 of the Hot Detox program, try this recipe atop Coco Quinoa.
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup organic coconut milk
- 2 tsp pink rock or gray sea salt
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless organic chicken thighs (about 8 pieces), cut into strips
- 5 cups cubed pineapple (and the thinly sliced core, if desired; keep separate)
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced red bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onions, garlic, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, coconut milk salt. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium, then add the chicken and cubed pineapple. Cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Add the broccoli, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Add the red pepper and pineapple core if using, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve immediately.