- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 50 Minutes
- Total Time: 3 Hours 45 Minutes
- 1 lb bulk Italian pork sausage
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (½ cup)
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 30 sheets frozen phyllo (filo) pastry (1439 inch), thawed
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (8 oz)
- 1 box (9 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove sausage from skillet; place in bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook bell pepper and onion in drippings 5 to 7 minutes until tender; add to sausage. In small bowl, beat eggs and pepper; add to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until set.
- Spray 1339-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cover phyllo with damp paper towel. Place 1 sheet in baking dish; brush with melted butter. Repeat 9 times.
- Spread half of sausage mixture over phyllo. Layer with 10 more phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Sprinkle with cooked eggs, Swiss cheese, spinach and basil. Layer with 5 more phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Top with remaining sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Layer with remaining 5 phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Cover tightly; refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Uncover baking dish; bake 45 to 55 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.