- Yield: 8 Servings
- Cooking Time: 10 Hours
- 1 (3 pound) fresh beef brisket
- 3 teaspoons dried Greek or Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into thick wedges
- 1 (14½ ounces) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup pitted green and or ripe olives, drained
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked pasta or rice (optional)
How to Make It
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle meat with 1 teaspoon of Greek or Italian seasoning. Place meat in the cooker. Top with fennel wedges.
- In a medium bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, broth, olives, salt, lemon peel, pepper, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning. Pour over meat and vegetables in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5½ hours.
- Remove meat form cooker, reserving cooking liquid. Thinly slice meat. Arrange meat and vegetables on serving platter. Cover meat and vegetables; keep warm. Pour cooking liquid into a glass measuring cup; skim off fat. For Sauce
- Measure cooking liquid; add water if necessary to make 2 cups total liquid. Transfer to a small saucepan. In a small bowl, combine the cold water and the flour; stir into liquid in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve sauce with meat and vegetables. If desired, serve with hot cooked pasta.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.