This is the base recipe for a smoothie I have after my early-morning walk. Whether I make it with cavolo nero, curly kale, spinach or sorrel changes with the season but it’s always a bunch out of my garden. And when I have coriander in flower it adds an amazing dimension to the smoothie. As we have an orchard of apples, pears, apricots and peaches I have a particular love of pears but because they all ripen at about the same time, no matter how much fruit we have, there are times during the year when we have to rely on green pears in cold storage, which I leave to ripen in the fruit bowl before I use them. At other times of the year I use kiwifruit, mangoes, banana, loquats or papaya – whatever is going.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- 125 g kale, leaves stripped (50 g trimmed), or other greens such as cavolo nero or spinach
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled, plus extra to serve
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ cup (140 g) natural probiotic yoghurt
- 1 cup (250 ml) natural coconut water
- 80 g ice cubes
- Place all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and process on high speed until smooth.
- Pour into 2 cups or glasses, top with extra sliced kiwifruit and serve immediately.