Ooey gooey Chex mix topped with fresh coconut, sliced almonds, and a caramel coating: this is Chex mix at its finest. This heavenly snack is seriously addictive, and it’s been made in our family for years. The pretzels add a nice salty touch. Just one bite and you’ll be hooked!
- Yield: 15 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 to 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup sliced almonds, plus more if desired
- 1 cup salted pretzel sticks, broken into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) salted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the Chex cereal into the bowl and mix in the coconut, nuts, and pretzels (if using). Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, and corn syrup and heat over medium heat, stirring, until the butter has melted. Raise the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Carefully pour the mixture over the Chex mix and stir until the cereal is coated. Stir in the marshmallows (if using), and then spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper and let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.