This colorful vegetable mélange makes great use of summer and early autumn produce, bursting with flavors. A large platter of these on the buffet table or served family-style can become the centerpiece. Serve this with any grilled meat, fish, or poultry.
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Grill the bell peppers until charred on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper bag and fold over the top to close tightly. Let steam for 10 minutes. Peel and seed the peppers, and cut into ½-inch-thick strips. (I use a pizza cutter to do this.) Reserve.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and grill on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the eggplant slices have grill marks and feel soft. Remove to a plate.
- Brush the corn with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until charred in spots, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the ¼ cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper strips. Sauté until heated through, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the ½ cup basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in the bottom of a large shallow platter, leaving room in the center. Spoon the peppers into the center and arrange the corn on the edge of the platter. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons basil and serve.