- Yield: 4 Servingsas part of multicourse meal
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 generous dash of ground white pepper (or black pepper)
- 1 generous dash of sugar
- 1 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ lb (250 g) fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
- Generous pinch of salt
- One 16-oz (500 g) block firm or medium-firm tofu, cut into 1-in (2.5-cm) cubes
How to Make It
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, cornstarch, water, sesame oil, pepper and sugar.
- In a wok or large frying pan, add the cooking oil and the garlic and turn the heat to medium-high. Let the oil and garlic warm up in the oil and when the oil is hot and the garlic is fragrant, add the spinach to the pan and immediately start stir-frying to mix the garlicky oil all over the spinach. Sprinkle the salt over the spinach and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the tofu cubes and pour the soy sauce mixture all over. Turn the heat to low, cover the wok and let cook for 1 minute.