These espresso bean–shaped cookies have a pleasing coffee flavor and a caffeine kick. It’s important to chill the cookies before baking. If you don’t, the cookies won’t hold their bean shape during baking.
- Yield: 20 shortbread
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 18 Minutes
- ¾ cup (185 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cocoa
- ½ cup (125 ml) butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) icing sugar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (10 ml) finely ground espresso beans
How to Make It
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa until well combined. In another bowl, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and ground coffee beans until lightened and well combined. Mix in the flour and cocoa until a soft dough forms.
- With your hands, roll the dough into ¾-inch (2 cm) round balls. Flatten and shape each dough ball into a ½-inch (1 cm) thick oblong and place on the baking sheet, leaving a 2-inch (5 cm) space between each cookie. Using the dull side of a dinner knife, score a deep line lengthwise down the center of each cookie. Chill the cookies in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly firm to the touch and just cooked through.