- 4 cups (1 liter) water
- 1½ lbs (750 g) large fresh shrimp
- 2 red finger-length chilies, deseeded
- 4 red Asian shallots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Juice (page 18) or lime juice
- Sprigs of fresh parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Bottled sweet chili sauce
How to Make It
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan and add the shrimp. Immediately reduce the heat and simmer until the shrimp turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Quickly drain and plunge the shrimp into a basin of iced water for 30 seconds to stop the cooking. Drain, peel and devein the shrimp. Transfer to a serving platter and set aside.
- Grind the chilies, shallots and Tamarind Juice or lime juice to a smooth paste in a mortar or blender, adding a little lime or lemon juice for a more sour taste if desired. Set aside.
- Add the ground paste to the shrimp and toss gently until well coated. Garnish with parsley or coriander leaves, and serve with a small bowl of sweet chili sauce on the side.