This hearty meat and potatoes meal tastes amazing when served with some fresh crusty bread and a beer. Try seasoning the servings with cilantro for a lovely flavor.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 sliced stalk celery
- 1 carrot, cut in cubes
- 1 slice bacon, cut in small strips
- 32 ounces rinsed beef heart, cut in cubes
- 1/3 ounce beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 4 ounces red wine
- 24 ounces water
- 2 ounces prepared mole sauce
- 1 parsnip, cut in cubes
- 2 large peeled potatoes, chunked
- 8 ounces canned lima beans
How to Make It
- Heat oil in a large stockpot on low heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, carrots and bacon to the oil, cover the pot and leave for 10 minutes to let the vegetables sweat.
- Remove vegetables and put the beef in the same pot. Add more oil if needed. Sauté beef on medium heat until browned.
- Place vegetables back in the pot and season with cumin. Add beef bouillon, prepared mole sauce and red wine. Pour enough water over the mixture to cover the meat and cover the pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours on low heat.
- Stir in parsnip, potato and beans and keep simmering until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes.