Yucatecan cuisine combines Spanish, Mexican, and Caribbean flavors. In this spicy recipe, an authentic
combination of turmeric, black beans, and olives accompanies the rice. Serve with lemon wedges, if
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 7 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 7 Minutes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup instant whole-grain brown rice (such as Minute)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeño-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped (about 11 olives)
- 1⁄3 cup prechopped red onion
- 3 (0.5-ounce) slices reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, cut into 1⁄2-inch squares
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges (optional)
How to Make It
- Bring water and turmeric to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Place rice in a wire mesh strainer; rinse rice with cold water, and drain well.
- While rice cooks, combine beans and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the cooled rice; toss gently until blended. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.