- Yield: 8 Servings
To Roast the Corn
- 4–6 medium ears of corn, husks and silk removed (you want about 3½ cups of the kernels)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Corn Pudding
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ tablespoons black or brown mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red cherry, Fresno, or jalapeño pepper, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sundried tomatoes (either packed in oil or rehydrated)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- A couple of dashes of Tabasco
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups grated smoked mozzarella
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onions, dark and light green parts only
How to Make It
- The first step of this dish is roasting or grilling the corn. Brush the corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place cobs on a hot grill and cook for 20 minutes, rotating every few minutes to cook all sides. If you don’t have a grill, you can place the seasoned corn on a baking sheet under the broiler for the same amount of time (still rotating). Let cool slightly, cut the kernels from the cobs, and reserve kernels in a separate bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and butter on medium-high heat. Once foam subsides, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to sputter and pop after 30 seconds to 1 minute, lower the heat to medium-low and add shallots, peppers, and a pinch of salt. Cook for a few minutes, until shallots are translucent. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add sundried tomatoes, corn kernels, and flour and stir to coat. Cook for another 30 seconds, stirring. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, cream, Tabasco, salt, and pepper. Add this along with the grated smoked mozzarella and the green onions to the corn mixture and combine thoroughly. Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish and bake for 50 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before serving.