Have you ever Googled how to make real hollandaise? It’s rich on rich on rich! Rather than relying on butter and egg yolks for fat and flavor, I make the base with lean, mean almonds. You’re definitely serving it with the Tofu Benny, but it’s also a classic pairing with grilled asparagus or other green veggies.
- Yield: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
- ½ cup sliced blanched almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Place all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until very smooth. If you need to thin the sauce, add small amounts of nondairy milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Heat the sauce over low heat in a saucepan, whisking constantly, before serving. If you overheat the sauce or forget to whisk it constantly, it will thicken and get lumpy. If this occurs, reblend it to smooth it out or add more nondairy milk or water.
- When reheating leftovers, you’ll definitely need to add a bit more nondairy milk or water to thin out the sauce again. It keeps up to 7 days in the fridge.