- Yield: 4 dozen cookies
- Total Time: 3 Hour 30 Minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup powdered gelatin
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies (10 oz) plus more for sprinkling
- 8 to 12 drops of red food coloring
- 1¼ cups bread flour
- 1 cup pastry flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Neutral oil, such as grapeseed, for brushing
- 28 oz dark chocolate (65% to 70% cocoa), chopped
- 4 oz cocoa butter
How to Make It
- Coat a 13-by-18-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. In a microwavable bowl, whisk gelatin with ¾ cup of the water. Microwave on high in 10-second increments, stirring after each one, until gelatin is melted, about 50 seconds.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat egg whites at medium-low speed until foamy. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar with corn syrup and remaining 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook over moderate heat, without stirring, until syrup registers 260° on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat; stir in gelatin until melted. Drizzle hot syrup into egg whites down side of bowl, beating at medium speed. Add vanilla and beat at high speed until thick and glossy, about 10 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold in 1 cup peppermint candies. Sprinkle in food coloring, then scrape marshmallow mixture onto baking sheet, swirling food coloring, and smooth surface. Let stand at room temperature until set, at least 2 hours or overnight. Make Cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk flours and salt. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat butter with sugar and vanilla bean seeds at medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients at low speed until just combined. Divide dough in half and press into disks. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- On a floured sheet of parchment paper, roll out 1 disk of dough into a rectangle, ¼ inch thick. Transfer on parchment paper to a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Repeat with second disk of dough.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Using a square cookie cutter, cut 2-inch squares from dough and arrange on baking sheets 1 inch apart. Reroll scraps and cut more squares. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool.
- Lightly brush cookie cutter with oil, repeating as needed. Cut forty-eight 2-inch marshmallows. Place 1 marshmallow on top of each cookie and transfer to baking sheets. Freeze until cold, at least 15 minutes. Make Glaze
- In a microwavable bowl, combine chocolate with cocoa butter. Microwave on high in 20-second increments, stirring after each one, until mixture is smooth.
- Coat 2 rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Using a fork, dip each cookie in glaze, then set on a baking sheet and sprinkle with peppermint candy. Refrigerate until set, at least 15 minutes, and serve cold.