- 2 lbs (1 kg) beef spareribs
- 3 cups (300 g) freshly grated coconut
- 2 cups (150 g) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 16 cups (4 liters) water
- 3 stalks lemongrass, tender inner part of bottom third only, bruised
- 1 in (2½ cm) fresh galangal, sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt Crispy Fried Shallots
- 3-4 shallots, peeled 3 macadamia nuts or candlenuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
How to Make It
- Separate the beef ribs and cut into lengths. Set aside.
- Dry-fry the grated coconut in a skillet over low heat, stirring constantly until it turns golden brown, about 10 minutes for fresh coconut and 5 to 7 minutes for desiccated coconut. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. While still warm, grind the coconut in a mortar or blender until fine. Set aside.
- Prepare the Spice Paste by grinding all the ingredients to a smooth paste in a mortar or blender, adding a little water if necessary to keep the mixture turning. Set aside.
- Bring the beef and water to a boil in a large pot and simmer uncovered over medium heat until the beef is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Add the ground coconut, Spice Paste and all the remaining ingredients (except the Crispy Fried Shallots), mix well and continue to simmer for 15 more minutes, until the beef is very tender, but not falling off the bones. Remove from the heat and serve garnished with the Crispy Fried Shallots.