Sticky glazed squares of apricot-and-frangipane-topped puff pastry. Yes please. Thickly whipped fridge-cold cream is a bonus. Resistance is futile.
- 11½ oz (320 g) good-quality, store-bought puff pastry
- 1 stick (120 g) plus 1 tsp butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 g) caster/superfine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups (150 g) ground almonds
- 23 oz (650 g) fresh apricots (about 16 apricots)
- 4 tbsp apricot jam/jelly or preserves, sieved
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (375˚F) Gas 5. Roll the pastry out to form a rectangle measuring 35 x 25 cm/14 x 9¾ inches. Lay it out on a large, flat sheet pan and turn in 1 cm/¾ inch along each side towards the centre.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl and add the eggs. Beat until well mixed. Add the ground almonds and beat again, until the mixture is smooth. Spoon it onto the pastry, and spread it in an even layer with a spatula.
- Cut the apricots in half and remove the pits. Arrange them (quite closely together) over the frangipane mixture. Transfer the sheet pan to the oven and bake for about 35–40 minutes, until the frangipane is firm and the apricots are softened and a little charred here and there. Remove from the oven and brush with the sieved jam/jelly. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold, with thickly whipped cream or icecream.