This traditional Greek lamb dish is an absolute delight and will have your guests coming back for more. This is by far my favourite version of this tantalisingly moreish dish, perfected over many years. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- 1 lb 12 oz (800 g) lean lamb mince
- 14 oz (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggplant/aubergines - thinly sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium mild onion, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
- 3 oz (75 g) butter
- ½ cup (80 ml) plain flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
How to Make It
- Spray the eggplant/aubergine slices with oil. Then place a large frying pan over medium hob heat. Cook in batches for about 3 minutes each side until nicely browned. Now set aside to a large flat plate.
- Next, heat the oil in a large pan over medium to high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring continuously for about 6 minutes or until onion has become translucent but not browned.
- Now add the lamb mince, stirring with a wooden spatula or spoon to break up any clumps of mince for about 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Now add the, cinnamon, tomatoes and allspice. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes until the sauce is thick and the liquid has reduced.
- Meanwhile, to make the white sauce, melt the butter in a pan over a medium-heat. Add the flour and stir well for 1 minute or until sizzling without burning. Gently stir in the milk and bring to the boil, then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened and is creamy. Now, remove from the heat.
- Finally, preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Grease medium sized ovenproof deep dish. Place the first third of the eggplant/aubergines just overlapping, over the base of the dish. Now spread half of the meat sauce over eggplant/aubergines. Repeat in layers, ending with the eggplant on top. Now spread the white sauce over the eggplant. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Then bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let it stand 15 minutes so that all the flavours relax and permeate the dish. Garnish with lemon wedges.