This burger has lots of heat and flavor thanks to the jalapeno jelly, and Gorgonzola cheese so is perfect for all those spice-lovers out there.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 22 Minutes
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 medium onion (peeled, thinly sliced)
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of sugar
- ⅓ cup jalapeno jelly
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 hamburger buns (split, toasted)
- 2 tbsp Gorgonzola cheese (crumbled)
- Jalapeno pepper (thinly sliced)
How to Make It
- Over moderate heat, in a small pan, heat the oil and butter.
- Add the onion followed by the salt and sugar and cook for between 3-4 minutes until the onion softens.
- Turn the heat down to moderate-low and cook until golden brown, for 4-6 minutes while occasionally stirring. Set the caramelized onions to one side. Keep warm.
- In a bowl, combine the jelly with the salt and black pepper.
- Add the ground beef, lightly but thoroughly mix, and shape into 4 (½”) thick patties.
- Covered, grill the burgers over moderate heat for between 4-5 minutes on each side. The burgers are sufficiently cooked when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 160 degrees F.
- Serve the burgers on buns topped with caramelized onions, cheese, and slices of jalapeno.