Spice up dinner with this delicious four-chili mole sauce. Remove the chicken from the cooker and shred it to serve in tacos with your favourite toppings.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
- 4 mulato chiles, dried with stems, veins and seeds removed
- 4 ancho chiles, dried with stems, veins and seeds removed
- 4 guajillo chiles, dried with stems, veins and seeds removed
- 4 pasilla chilies, dried with stems, veins and seeds removed
- 1/3 ounce lard
- 1 large peeled onion, chopped
- 4 chopped cloves garlic
- 1 x 7” flour tortilla, broken into pieces
- 2 x 5” corn tortillas, broken into pieces
- 1 peeled plantain, chopped
- 4 ounces almonds
- 4 ounces peanuts
- 1 ounce sesame seeds
- 14 ounces canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablet of Mexican chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1 whole chicken
How to Make It
- Heat lard in a frying pan on medium heat and sauté chiles in the lard for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir constantly so they don’t burn. Transfer chiles to a large bowl.
- Sauté onion and garlic in the same pan for 5 minutes until onion is translucent. Remove and add to the chiles.
- Add tortillas to the frying pan and toast the pieces for 3 minutes until golden brown, turning often. Transfer to the bowl with the chiles.
- Melt more lard in the pan and sauté plantain in the lard for 5 minutes until browned. Transfer plantain to the bowl.
- Add almonds and peanuts to the frying pan and cook and stir for 1 minute until fragrant. Add sesame seeds and stir for another 15-30 seconds. Transfer almond mixture to the bowl.
- Place tomatoes in the frying pan and warm on medium heat for 5 minutes until heated through. Remove the pan from heat and stir in chocolate until melted. Transfer tomato and chocolate mixture to the bowl and stir everything until well combined.
- Puree mixture in the food processor in batches until smooth. Add water if needed.
- Put chicken in a large pot and pour sauce over top. Cover the pot and cook mixture for 2-3 hours on medium low heat until chicken is tender enough to fall off the bone.